Wednesday, July 22, 2009

David W. Cuttino, Jr.

Dave Cuttino was funny - well, in a corny kind of way. He would say, "Yeah, that was a corny one, but . . . shucks!" Dave was also passionate about music. I was there when he returned to teaching after a time away getting his doctorate; as he began to direct the chorus, tears rolled down his cheeks. He apologized, saying that he hadn't realized how much he had missed the music.

Dave loved God. He knew that the real reason he did what he did was for God. The music, the rehearsals, the passion were all God-related. He let us know that, unashamedly. He never claimed to know all the answers; he just believed passionately.

One week when he was to be out of town, he asked me to substitute for him at his church. He would help me with the anthem first, then I could go to the rehearsal before that Sunday. He would do all the reheasal; all I needed to do was conduct. That Sunday, standing there after the choir has sung, I knew I would be doing this, as at least part of my life, for the rest of my life.

Many of the people in Dave's college choirs are still singing. Quite a few of us are choral directors. and a few of us are orchestral conductors. Dave inspired us to be passionate, like he was. He made us see music for what it is: the speech of angels, that flows from heaven into our souls. Dave Cuttino was a difference person.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. A Big difference person. Dr. C. certainly had a very significant impact on my life, too. "Jesus, My Lord, My Life, My All" is still one of my "sing myself to sleep" songs. (Of course I do it alto!)

    When I was a teenager, we were fortunate to have Dr. C's father as the guest musician at revival services. He and Mrs. Cuttino joined us for supper every evening that week, and all of us kids thoroughly enjoyed his sense of humor as well as the beautiful music he brought to us.

    A few years later, when I met Dr. Cuttino, the resemblance was beautiful to see. Singing in the Baptist College Choir was truly a highlight of my life. Each tour was special - for lots of reasons - especially the one when we sang in total darkness in the depths of Mammoth Cave with only a flashlight shining on Dr. C.

    And now, it's thrilling to see Dr. C's son Walter in action. What a tenor! What a talent!

    Each Cuttino generation has taken this love of and talent for music a little further. It'll be exciting to see what's next!

    Thank you, Duane, for posting this. And thanks for the opportunity to reminisce a little, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1975 or so, I went to a music conference somewhere - don't remember where. I got there early, and there was a guy setting up some risers. He was wearing worn jeans, and had a big, dark-red "afro." I took off my suit coat and tie, and started helping. When we finished he reached out to shake hands and said he was Bob Burroughs. I shook his hand and told him my name, then asked him if he was related to the guy that wrote "Jesus, My Lord, My Life, My All." Yes, he said he was that guy. So I took one foot out of my mouth and inserted the other, telling him I thought he would be older. He laughed, thank the Lord.

    Anyway, I kept up with him. He was the Baptist music guy in Florida for many years, and I got on his Monday Morning E-mail list when he started that a dozen years or so ago. He still writes a weekly article (and calls it the Monday Morning E-mail) for The Creator Magazine (Vern Sanders is the publisher.) Bob has been retired now for a few years, but I doubt he'll ever stop ministry; it's who he is.

    ReplyDelete