Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Michael and Judith

I've lost touch with Michael and Judith. I know where they are; I just have stopped corresponding over time. Colleen and I visited a couple of years ago (we saw Judith), and all the memories of our time in College Park, Maryland, came spinning back into my head: Halloween, when their house was very creatively haunted; watching the Blue Sky Puppet Theater making sophisticated points with even young children; seeing our kids at play together. And chatting. That chatting was supremely important in my life. It was usually me chatting, and their listening.

They listened. They cared. They honestly cared.

They made a great difference in my life because of that listening. Don't misunderstand; they were also quite intelligent people who offered good thoughts themselves, and were quite valuable in the advice they offered to the community, the church, and to people. But they made a difference in my life, and I'm sure in the lives of many others, because they listened.

I think (and hope!) that I listen more intently and more honestly because of Michael and Judith Cayo-Cotter.

No comments:

Post a Comment